Tip back a few of Arizona’s top-rated brews on National Beer Day
PHOENIX — This may be just the kind of news you need on a Friday: It’s National Beer Day!
And Arizona has plenty of places to mark the day. After all, we have at least three breweries — Mother Road Brewing, San Tan Brewing Company and Four Peaks Brewing Company — that were recognized as some of the best beer makers around and we routinely pop up on best-of-beer lists.
In honor of the Grand Canyon State’s brewing success, we put together a list of Arizona’s top-rated beers on Beer Advocate.
Before we get to that, however, we have a question: Do you know why April 7 is National Beer Day? We did some searching and found that it marks the day the Cullen-Harrison Act went into effect in 1933.
While that sounds boring, the act — signed by former President Franklin D. Roosevelt — allowed people to buy, sell and, most importantly, drink beer with an alcohol by volume of 3.2 or less. Basically, it was the first step toward ending Prohibition.
When he signed the act, Roosevelt said something we all like to hear: “I think this would be a good time for a beer.”
So when you flip through the gallery below of Arizona’s top 10 brews, keep in mind that by tipping a cold one back on Friday, you’re celebrating United States history.
- Sen. John McCain reflects on brain cancer diagnosis on ’60 Minutes’
- Crash causes closure of eastbound Interstate 10 at I-17 in Phoenix
- Phoenix Sky Harbor ties for third-best ‘mega airport’ satisfaction rating
- Scientists: Desert turtle earns endangered status, 100 left in Arizona
- I-10 to be narrowed to one lane for nearly a week near Chandler