LARGO, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say deputies in Florida shot and killed a man who skipped a court appearance and then opened fire on the deputies who tried to arrest him.
The Tampa Bay Times (https://goo.gl/UMGKxK ) reports that 48-year-old Richard Xaiver Summers died Thursday afternoon in a restaurant parking lot.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office says Summers missed a Thursday morning court appearance for a fraud case, and a bail bondsman tipped deputies off to Summers’ location. The sheriff’s violent fugitive task force found Summers and pulled over an Uber he was riding in.
The driver cooperated with deputies. Sheriff’s officials say Summer got out of the car and opened fire, prompting six deputies to return fire.
Jail records show Summers is black. The races of the deputies weren’t immediately reported.
Information from: Tampa Bay Times (St. Petersburg, Fla.), http://www.tampabay.com.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Car jumps curb in Glendale, fatally strikes bicyclist
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood