BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) — Authorities say SWAT team members shot and killed an armed man holding a hostage after a six-hour standoff at a Florida mobile home park.
The Bradenton Herald (https://goo.gl/V3lLdO) reports that the SWAT team entered the clubhouse at the Tampa Bay area park Thursday afternoon. Manatee County Sheriff Rick Wells says 68-year-old Glenn Watenpool began firing at the deputies, and they returned fire, killing him.
Wells said Watenpool was armed with a handgun and shotgun when he took the park manager hostage Thursday morning. He was being evicted from the community after complaints of harassment by his neighbors.
The park manager was treated for minor injuries. No one else was hurt.
It wasn’t immediately clear how many deputies shot Watenpool.
Information from: The Bradenton (Fla.) Herald , http://www.bradenton.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Violent crime in Arizona rose 13% in 2016, while property crime declined
- Feds buy land to open up access to 2 Arizona forest areas
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer