GEORGETOWN, Del. (AP) — A custodian has been sentenced after admitting to raping, killing and then dumping the body of a church day care worker in Delaware.
News outlets report 33-year-old Matthew Burton pleaded guilty Wednesday in a Sussex County Superior Court to the second-degree murder and second-degree rape in the death of Nicole Bennett.
Burton was sentenced to 15 years each for the 2012 killing. He will be registered as a sex offender when he leaves prison and will be on probation for 20 years.
Bennett, a volunteer day care leader at Bay Shore Community Church near Gumboro, was found dead in a dirt road in Worcester County, Maryland.
In 2015, Bennett’s family settled a lawsuit claiming the church was negligent in hiring Burton, a convicted sex offender, as a custodian.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix
- Nations search for 10 missing sailors after USS John S. McCain collision
- White House chief strategist Steve Bannon steps down
- Family: California man celebrating marriage killed in Spain