Share this story...
In this April 2, 2017 photo released by Sacred Heart University, students participate in a candlelight vigil in memory of student Caitlin Nelson on the school's campus in Fairfield, Conn. Police said Nelson, from Clark, N.J., died days after choking during a pancake-eating contest at the college. (Sean Kaschak/Sacred Heart University via AP)
Latest News

Student who choked on pancakes at contest died of asphyxia

In this April 2, 2017 photo released by Sacred Heart University, students participate in a candlelight vigil in memory of student Caitlin Nelson on the school's campus in Fairfield, Conn. Police said Nelson, from Clark, N.J., died days after choking during a pancake-eating contest at the college. (Sean Kaschak/Sacred Heart University via AP)

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — A medical examiner has ruled that a Connecticut college student who choked on pancakes during an eating contest on campus died of accidental asphyxia.

The New York City chief medical examiner’s office released autopsy results Wednesday for Caitlin Nelson, a 20-year-old from Clark, New Jersey, who attended Sacred Heart University in Fairfield. The official cause of death was “asphyxia due to obstruction of airway by bolus of food.”

Nelson died at a hospital in New York on Sunday, three days after collapsing during a pancake-eating contest. Nursing students and first-responders performed lifesaving measures at the scene, and she was transported to a hospital in critical condition.

Her father, James, was a Port Authority of New York and New Jersey police officer who died on 9/11 when Caitlin was 5.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Links