TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities in Tampa say they’ve arrested the mother of a 4-year-old boy who accidentally shot himself in the chest earlier this year.
A Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office news release says 24-year-old Delicia Forte was arrested Tuesday and charged with aggravated child neglect resulting in serious injury.
Deputies say the boy was home with his mother’s boyfriend, 26-year-old Akia Thomas, on Jan. 24, when the child found a gun under a dresser. The boy underwent surgery and survived.
Forte had taken a 1-year-old child to day care, and another child was in school. The children are now in foster care.
Forte is free on $7,500 bail. Jail records didn’t list whether she had an attorney.
Thomas remained in jail on charges including possession of a weapon by a felon.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix