PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — A Rhode Island man has been convicted of repeatedly raping his then-girlfriend after he became angry that she smoked their last cigarette.
The Providence Journal reports (http://bit.ly/2nAFvcU ) the attorney general’s office says a Superior Court jury convicted 36-year-old Leopoldo Belen, of Woonsocket, of four counts of first-degree sexual assault for the April 2014 attack.
Prosecutors say Belen violently assaulted the then-21-year-old woman, who fled the Woonsocket apartment wearing only a bed sheet. A neighbor called 911.
Belen is accused in a separate case of beating 78-year-old Delor Cabral to death during a home invasion in 2013. Authorities have said that Cabral, a landlord, was trying to defend one of his tenants from being robbed.
Belen has pleaded not guilty to 13 charges. His lawyer didn’t immediately comment.
Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Violent crime in Arizona rose 13% in 2016, while property crime declined
- Feds buy land to open up access to 2 Arizona forest areas
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer