RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Sen. Bernie Sanders is endorsing Democrat Tom Perriello in Virginia governor’s race.
Sanders announced the endorsement in a statement Tuesday morning, saying progressives must be elected “at every level of government if we are going to beat back the dangerous agenda of the Trump administration and its Republican allies.”
The former congressman faces Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam in the June Democratic primary.
Sanders says Perriello is “committed to fighting the rigged economy and income inequality.” He praised Perriello’s call to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, opposition to fracked gas pipelines and rejection of contributions from big utilities.
Perriello says he’s proud to have the support of Sanders, who he says “electrified a movement of Americans ready to take on our biggest challenges, including inequality and corruption.”
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Feds buy land to open up access to 2 Arizona forest areas
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood