ORANGE CITY, Fla. (AP) — Investigators say a man arrested on a shoplifting charge escaped from a Florida police station by making a hole in the bathroom ceiling while an officer stood guard outside.
A police report says 31-year-old Michael Caruso removed an exhaust fan from the ceiling Sunday, made the hole big enough to climb through and escaped from the Orange City Police Department building.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal (http://bit.ly/2oE8Ntb ) reports that during his brief escape, Caruso asked a nearby resident for a ride and tried to get in another person’s house.
Police say Caruso was running when they finally caught up to him. He told officers he didn’t want to go back to prison. He’s now facing 14 charges and is being held without bail in the Volusia County Jail. Records don’t list an attorney.
Information from: Daytona Beach (Fla.) News-Journal, http://www.news-journalonline.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix