NEW YORK (AP) — The latest on sexual-harassment allegations at Fox News (all times local):
Bill O’Reilly didn’t discuss harassment allegations detailed against over the weekend in his first show back at work.
The top-rated cable news host had segments on Democrats opposing Donald Trump and a story with contributor Jesse Watters visiting Columbia University to ask if Fox News Channel was welcome there.
But he made no mention Monday of The New York Times’ exhaustive story on him on Sunday’s front page, outlining how five women who said O’Reilly had either sexually harassed or verbally abused him had been paid a total of $13 million in settlements.
Earlier Monday, Mercedes-Benz said it was pulling its ads from his show, saying the allegations against O’Reilly are “disturbing.”
New York City’s Commission on Human Rights says it hasn’t gotten a claim calling for an investigation into Fox News host Bill O’Reilly over sexual-harassment allegations from a former guest.
Lisa Bloom is a lawyer for Wendy Walsh, a former regular on “The O’Reilly Factor.” She spoke out Monday for the investigation. She says Walsh’s appearances on the show stopped after she refused to go to O’Reilly’s hotel room after a dinner in Los Angeles in 2013.
A spokesman for the commission says no claim has been filed. Claims have to address activity that happened in New York and must be filed within a year of an alleged infraction.
The New York Times reported over the weekend five women who said O’Reilly sexually harassed or verbally abused them have been paid $13 million since 2012.
Representatives for Fox News haven’t responded to questions.
Car company Mercedes-Benz says it’s pulling ads from Fox News’ “The O’Reilly Factor” because of host Bill O’Reilly’s sexual-harassment “controversy.”
The New York Times reported over the weekend Fox News’ parent company or O’Reilly have paid $13 million since 2012 to five women who said he sexually harassed or verbally abused them.
Mercedes-Benz says the allegations are “disturbing.” It says given the importance of women in every aspect of its business it doesn’t feel this is a good environment in which to advertise its products.
Representatives for Fox News and owner 21st Century Fox haven’t responded to questions.
An attorney for a former Fox News guest is calling for an independent investigation of sexual harassment allegations against host Bill O’Reilly.
Lisa Bloom represents Wendy Walsh, a regular guest on Fox’s “The O’Reilly Factor,” whose appearances dried up after she refused to go to O’Reilly’s bedroom following a 2013 dinner in Los Angeles. She’s seeking an investigation by New York City’s Commission on Human Rights.
Walsh said she came forward because she was told by a New York Times reporter that many of the women who have accused O’Reilly of harassment are bound by gag orders. She said she is not bound by any such agreement and the statute of limitations has passed for her to sue.
“Nobody can silence me because my voice is not for sale,” Walsh said. “Nobody can buy my voice.”
The Times reported this weekend that Fox News’ parent company 21st Century Fox or O’Reilly paid $13 million to five women since 2002 to settle cases where they alleged inappropriate behavior by O’Reilly. Last year, Fox News chief Roger Ailes left the network following accusations he had made unwanted sexual advances against women. Ailes has denied the charges.
Earlier Monday, a Fox News contributor filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against Ailes, saying she was denied opportunities after she rebuffed Ailes’ advances and that current management sought to keep her complaints quiet.
A Fox News contributor has filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against deposed chief executive Roger Ailes, saying she was denied opportunities after rebuffing his advances and that current management sought to keep her complaints quiet.
Julie Roginsky, the Fox contributor, said that a promised position on the Fox show “The Five” never happened after she rejected Ailes’ sexual advances.
In a complaint filed in New York state Supreme Court on Monday, Roginsky said she was pressured to join “Team Roger” to defend Ailes when Gretchen Carlson filed the initial harassment complaint against him but that she refused. Roginsky is being represented by Carlson’s legal team.
The lawsuit comes after a New York Times report on Saturday that Fox News’ parent company 21st Century Fox or host Bill O’Reilly paid $13 million to five women since 2002 to settle cases where they alleged inappropriate behavior by O’Reilly. Ailes left the network last summer after allegations the he made unwanted sexual advances against women. Ailes has denied those charges.
Roginsky said that even though current Fox executive Bill Shine was aware of her complaint, she was never contacted by the law firm investigating harassment charges against Ailes, and has continued to be denied advancement opportunities.
A Fox News spokeswoman did not immediately return a request for comment.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Main Street Minute: Amazing Jake’s to get makeover, name change
- Main Street Minute: Phoenix has openings for fire emergency dispatchers
- Main Street Minute: Barbecue spot to open in downtown Phoenix
- Theme park resort villages approved for development near Phoenix
- Main Street Minute: Glendale health care campus giving out eclipse glasses