NORTH BERGEN, N.J. (AP) — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is among those mourning the deaths of two GOP officials killed in a hit-and-run accident.
Hudson County authorities say Jersey City Republican Party Chairman Russell Maffei and Marie Tauro, a prospective legislative candidate, were struck Sunday night while crossing a street outside a diner in North Bergen.
The Republican governor says Maffei was a dear friend and longtime colleague “who I could always rely upon.”
County GOP chairman Jose Arango tells The Jersey Journal the pair were meeting with other Republicans to plan a strategy for the June primaries.
County corrections officer Michael Hansen was arrested when authorities recovered the vehicle Monday. He is charged with leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in death.
It wasn’t known if Hansen has retained an attorney.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump tweet attacks Flake, calls Arizona senator ‘toxic’
- After preschool promise, Phoenix couple marries 20 years later
- Pence won’t address Trump comments but condemns supremacists
- Arizona high court rules domestic violence testimony needs scrutiny
- Brewer stands by Trump assessment of Mexican rapists, white power rally