NORTH BERGEN, N.J. (AP) — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is among those mourning the deaths of two GOP officials killed in a hit-and-run accident.
Hudson County authorities say Jersey City Republican Party Chairman Russell Maffei and Marie Tauro, a prospective legislative candidate, were struck Sunday night while crossing a street outside a diner in North Bergen.
The Republican governor says Maffei was a dear friend and longtime colleague “who I could always rely upon.”
County GOP chairman Jose Arango tells The Jersey Journal the pair were meeting with other Republicans to plan a strategy for the June primaries.
County corrections officer Michael Hansen was arrested when authorities recovered the vehicle Monday. He is charged with leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in death.
It wasn’t known if Hansen has retained an attorney.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Feds buy land to open up access to 2 Arizona forest areas
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Judge decides Arizona doesn’t have to reveal execution-drugs source