News reports say a church was destroyed and dozens of homes damaged after a possible tornado whipped through the Virginia Beach area.
The Virginian-Pilot reported that severe storms on Friday night struck the Hampton Roads region, which includes the cities of Virginia Beach and Norfolk. The newspaper quoted fire department officials in Virginia Beach as saying that about 50 homes there were damaged or destroyed.
The newspaper quoted National Weather Service official as saying that teams would be sent to the area Saturday to assess damage and try to confirm whether a tornado had touched down.
In the city of Chesapeake, the Real Life Christian Church was heavily damaged.
There were no reports of injuries or deaths.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Phoenix ranks best city in nation for fall weather, survey finds
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood