My wife and I argue a lot about finances. We’re trying to get more control over our money, and she has been listening to you. That’s helped a lot. She’s also a lot more frugal than I am, and our biggest point of contention right now is how we handle our spending money. Whenever I work overtime at my job, I feel like I should be able to put the overtime pay toward my spending money. What are your thoughts on this?
No way, dude! You don’t work overtime for your little boy wants. You work overtime, and rake in that extra cash, for the good of your family. That’s the manly thing to do.
Now, that’s not to say you both can’t have a little spending money. It also doesn’t mean that you can’t treat yourself once in a while if you’re working your tail off. I mean, if I’m working 70 to 80 hours a week I may give myself a little inexpensive treat in the midst of all that. So, my spending money budget should reflect that. But it shouldn’t reflect a sense that I get to play more because I work extra, while the rest of the family suffers.
Sorry, man. I think you knew what I was going to say. Step up, be good to your family first, and then your good times will come. If you haven’t learned it already, you’ll soon discover that those good times are best ones!
- Dave Ramsey says: Never take a loan against retirement
- Dave Ramsey says: Make grown daughter stand on her own
- Dave Ramsey says: Renter should talk to attorney about owners foreclosure
- Dave Ramsey says: Best way to ask for raise is to have discussion
- Dave Ramsey says: Pay off hospital for baby-related medical bills