Dave Ramsey says: Do the manly thing, save extra cash for family
My wife and I argue a lot about finances. We’re trying to get more control over our money, and she has been listening to you. That’s helped a lot. She’s also a lot more frugal than I am, and our biggest point of contention right now is how we handle our spending money. Whenever I work overtime at my job, I feel like I should be able to put the overtime pay toward my spending money. What are your thoughts on this?
No way, dude! You don’t work overtime for your little boy wants. You work overtime, and rake in that extra cash, for the good of your family. That’s the manly thing to do.
Now, that’s not to say you both can’t have a little spending money. It also doesn’t mean that you can’t treat yourself once in a while if you’re working your tail off. I mean, if I’m working 70 to 80 hours a week I may give myself a little inexpensive treat in the midst of all that. So, my spending money budget should reflect that. But it shouldn’t reflect a sense that I get to play more because I work extra, while the rest of the family suffers.
Sorry, man. I think you knew what I was going to say. Step up, be good to your family first, and then your good times will come. If you haven’t learned it already, you’ll soon discover that those good times are best ones!
- Dave Ramsey says: Rid yourself of debt in 18 months with tight budget
- Dave Ramsey says: Stick to wedding plans, tackle debt together
- Dave Ramsey says: Prepaid debit cards teach kids wrong message
- Dave Ramsey says: Baby Step 3 is for emergencies, not income stopgap
- Dave Ramsey says: Give freeloading brother-in-law lesson in adulthood