We were very late on one of our credit card bills, and now it has been turned over to a collection agency.
The collection company has offered us three or four different payment options. Does the original creditor accept the agreement, too, if we accept one of the collection agency’s options?
In most situations of this type, the collection agency owns the debt outright or they’re directly representing the original creditor.
It’s pretty much standard operating procedure when someone has defaulted on a loan.
My advice would be to accept the deal they’ve offered that makes the most sense for you and your current financial situation.
It’ll ding your credit report, and show a settlement on the defaulted credit card, but that’s not the end of the world. There’s already a mark against you for it being turned over to collections.
If you want to keep things like this from happening in the future, you need to get control of your finances. Stop playing with credit cards!
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Dave Ramsey says: Fund emergencies first, then save for down payment
- Five money tips for parents when it comes to high school graduates
- Conquer fear of credit cards now, reap benefits later
- US households owe record amount, topping pre-recession peak
- Dave Ramsey says: Giving teen deserves pat on back, parents’ guidance