PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Former British Prime Minister David Cameron jokes he doesn’t have to listen to U.S. President Donald Trump’s wiretapped conversations anymore.
Cameron addressed 2,000 people at Rhode Island’s Brown University on Monday. The Providence Journal reports (http://bit.ly/2mmR4sM) Cameron says he’s optimistic shared American and British values of freedom, equality and justice will prevail over nationalism and isolation.
Cameron resigned last year after failing to persuade Britons to remain in the European Union in a June referendum. Britain announced Monday it formally begins its exit March 29.
Cameron said not having to hear Trump’s wiretaps is an advantage of leaving office, then dead-panned: “Just to be clear, that’s a joke.”
His quip referenced unsubstantiated White House suggestions British intelligence helped Democratic former President Barack Obama spy on the Republican Trump.
The FBI’s director has knocked down Trump’s wiretapping claim.
Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates