PHOENIX — Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) said Monday he does not foresee a heavy political push by Democrats to block the nomination of President Donald Trump’s Supreme Court pick, Neil Gorsuch.
“A number of Democrats just don’t want to go down that road. They’re saying ‘Let’s fight on another hill, not this one,'” Flake told KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Mac & Gaydos on Monday.
Flake, who sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said he expects a few Democrats to dig their heels in to the proverbial hill, but many of them will follow the example of Sen. Michael Bennet (D-Colo.).
During Gorsuch’s introduction Monday, Bennet mostly praised Gorsuch. Though he said he had a few questions about Merrick Garland — who was nominated by former President Barack Obama and never received a hearing — Bennet said he would “keep an open mind” about the Colorado judge from the other side of the aisle.
“He said some very good things about Neil Gorsuch so it would be difficult to make that kind of statement and then turn around and say ‘Hey, I don’t think he’s qualified,'” Flake said of Bennet’s comments.
Flake also said he thinks Gorsuch will eventually don the robes because Democrats offered little opposition when he was appointed to the 10th Circuit of Appeals.
“He’s accomplished, he’s mainstream and I think he’ll be appointed to the court,” Flake said.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- McCain, Flake signal support for Gorsuch’s nomination to Supreme Court
- Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake asks Gorsuch popular horse, duck question during hearing
- Activists hold 12-hour stakeout outside Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake’s office in Phoenix
- Judges say plan to split 9th Circuit could backfire, spark court delays
- Former President George W. Bush to appear at Valley fundraiser for Sen. Jeff Flake