NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Newark’s mayor has released the name of a 10-year-old Pennsylvania boy who was accidentally shot and killed by another juvenile during a family party at a home in the city.
Mayor Ras Baraka said Monday that an 11-year-old boy was holding the gun when it somehow discharged early Saturday, striking Josiah Coleman. Braka didn’t disclose the other child’s name or say if the youths were related.
The shooting occurred inside a multifamily home. Coleman was found in a third-floor apartment and was taken to a hospital, where he died.
Essex County prosecutors have declined to release details about the shooting, citing their ongoing investigation. They also have not said where the gun came from or how the juvenile shooter got the weapon.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Load up on the ice, find shade, Phoenix area heating up to triple digits this week
- Dad of Times Square crash victim leaves note at her memorial
- Pregnant Maryland teen not allowed at graduation ceremony
- US probes whether Hyundai, Kia recalled engines fast enough
- Mom of twins killed in fire while she bought pot gets jail