PHOENIX — Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) said Monday that he does not believe former President Barack Obama wiretapped Trump Tower, the campaign headquarters of Donald Trump.
“In terms of wiretapping the president in Trump Tower by the former president, it just didn’t happen,” Flake told KTAR News 92.3 FM’s Mac & Gaydos.
The alleged wiretapping began to garner headlines earlier this month when Trump made the claims on Twitter.
“How low has President Obama gone to tapp my phones during the very sacred election process. This is Nixon/Watergate. Bad (or sick) guy!” he tweeted, misspelling ‘tap.’
However, no evidence of the president’s claims has surfaced. Flake did not sound surprised to hear that news.
“I never believed it from the beginning,” he said. “It’s been confirmed by every intelligence arm that we have. That would have been a big, big deal had that happened and I was quite confident that it didn’t.”
On Monday, FBI Director James Comey publicly contradicted Trump’s claims for the first time.
“With respect to the president’s tweets about alleged wiretapping directed at him by the prior administration, I have no information that supports those tweets, and we have looked carefully inside the FBI,” Comey said. The same was true, he added, of the Justice Department.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Arizona presidential historian sees contrasts between Trump, Nixon situations
- John McCain says Trump scandals are of ‘Watergate scale and size’
- Trump speaks at Liberty University, urges grads to stand up to criticism
- Maricopa County recorder calls Trump’s voter fraud task force waste of time, money
- Organization launches billboard targeting Jeff Flake over internet privacy vote