PHOENIX — Several Phoenix-area schools were put on lockdown for a short time Monday while police searched the area for a robbery suspect.
The Chandler and Tempe police departments were searching near Rural Road and Chandler Boulevard for at least one person suspected of robbing a man at gunpoint.
The Kyrene School District said Aprende Middle School, Pueblo Middle School, Brisas Elementary School, Paloma Elementary School, Mirada Elementary School and Kyrene Traditional School were all placed on modified lockdown.
During the modified lockdown, school doors are locked and no one is allowed to enter or leave campus.
The lockdown was in place for about an hour. It was lifted just after 11 a.m.
Police said the robbery occurred near Baseline Road and Mill Avenue. The three suspects allegedly took various items along with the victim’s car.
The victim recognized one of the suspects and, when he went to the suspect’s Chandler residence, the victim saw his stolen car at the home.
The victim was not injured.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain