We aren’t even a full week past the Republicans unveiling their plan to replace Obamacare and the Democrats already have a few substantially large targets.
First up is something that I haven’t seen in my lifetime: Elected officials rolling back entitlement!
That’s right. When Republicans ditch health care subsidies, they’re rolling back a government handout — one of the cardinal sins of electoral politics. It’s hard to run for reelection when you took money out of voter’s hands.
Ironically, that money was something they took from other voters’ hands but that’s a discussion for another time.
The Democrats are crying foul and claiming that this will hurt lower-income families. You know, the ones they’ve been buying votes from and taking advantage of for decades.
However, the Republican plan does have several pages of the bill dedicated to making sure that poor people that win the lottery are quickly removed from any subsidies. Who came up with that nonsense?
Next, you will continue to hear cries that millions of Americans will lose their insurance. Does that sound familiar? Like the millions of Americans that lost their insurance plans and doctors when Obamacare was launched?
It looks like the Democrats are just hoping that everyone forgot what happened seven years ago.
Next, interstate selling is not part of this plan. What? I thought that was the heart of the new plan? Wasn’t that what most of the Republicans were running on? Speaker of the House Paul Ryan claimed that will be part of phase two and phase three of the new plan.
This makes it easy for the Democrats to pounce and claim that interstate selling is not as easy as everyone thought.
Of course it’s not is easy as everyone thinks it is. This is electoral politics. Their job is to fool us into thinking things are easy.
But that does not mean that it should not happen. It should happen. It needs to happen.
Yes, all 50 states have their own regulations and their own red tape. But trust me, the insurance companies will get it done in the name of their own bottom line. They need to because they are beholden to their shareholders.
Finally, and this one is my favorite, Kellyanne Conway took to the cable news networks this weekend claiming that president Donald Trump doesn’t even want to put his name on this piece of legislation. He does not want it to be called Trumpcare!
That, my friends, is called a very large red flag.
I’m still staying optimistic. There is a slight chance this can work out. But I promise you, if I hear a Republican say that we need to pass the bill to find out what’s in it, I’m gone!
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- Arizona House budget plan has more teacher pay, bigger tax cut
- Arizona student in US illegally posts tax return online, goes viral
- McCain predicts more ties between Russia and Trump campaign will be uncovered
- First lady Melania Trump hires Arizona woman as communications director
- Arizona joins 12 other states in backing Trump’s travel ban in appeals court