PHOENIX — A chemical leak at a business near a hotel and Interstate 10 in Phoenix forced evacuations of the area Thursday morning.
The Phoenix Fire Department’s hazmat teams cleared surrounding buildings at 34th Street and University Drive to clean up a spill of diborane, a compound made up of boron and hydrogen. Diborane is unstable, according to the U.S. National Library.
The businesses at the site, which is close to Sky Harbor Airport, include an electronics parts supplier.
No other details were immediately available.
- Deaths of 2 at Phoenix-area retirement community could be heat-related
- Light it up: Where to find Fourth of July fireworks in Phoenix area
- Live blog: Phoenix hits 10 days with highs at least 110 degres
- Prosecutors use Joe Arpaio’s immigration talk against him
- Mesa mayor joins national calls for changes to Senate health care bill