Chemical leak near Interstate 10 and airport in Phoenix forces evacuations
PHOENIX — A chemical leak at a business near a hotel and Interstate 10 in Phoenix forced evacuations of the area Thursday morning.
The Phoenix Fire Department’s hazmat teams cleared surrounding buildings at 34th Street and University Drive to clean up a spill of diborane, a compound made up of boron and hydrogen. Diborane is unstable, according to the U.S. National Library.
The businesses at the site, which is close to Sky Harbor Airport, include an electronics parts supplier.
No other details were immediately available.
- Valley law enforcement K9s undergo explosive detection training
- For fifth year in a row, organ donations in Arizona on the rise
- ‘Safety corridors’ along Arizona freeways saw fewer crashes in 2017
- Here are the Phoenix-area highway restrictions for Jan. 19 weekend
- 80-year-old accused of Tucson bank robbery has decades-old record