Chemical leak near Interstate 10 and airport in Phoenix forces evacuations
PHOENIX — A chemical leak at a business near a hotel and Interstate 10 in Phoenix forced evacuations of the area Thursday morning.
The Phoenix Fire Department’s hazmat teams cleared surrounding buildings at 34th Street and University Drive to clean up a spill of diborane, a compound made up of boron and hydrogen. Diborane is unstable, according to the U.S. National Library.
The businesses at the site, which is close to Sky Harbor Airport, include an electronics parts supplier.
No other details were immediately available.
- AP-NORC Poll: Amid strikes, Americans back teacher raises
- Phoenix police searching for suspect in 2013 fatal hit-and-run
- Eastern Arizona wildfire balloons to more than 15,000 acres in size
- Mark Shoen named richest person in the history of Arizona
- Red for Ed supporters, teachers gather in Surprise for rally