PHOENIX — Two submissions inspired by real-life moments have won Arizona’s clever freeway sign contest.
The two winning signs will be on display this weekend on Arizona Department of Transportation message boards around the state.
The messages read, “That’s the temperature, not the speed limit” and, “Single in HOV? Get a real date not a court date.”
Both winners said their sign ideas came from real-life experience.
“A friend and I were driving and she was alarmed because she thought I was driving 101 miles per hour,” winner Ashley Servatius said in a press release. “Little did she know, that was my temperature gauge and not my speedometer. It was a good laugh.”
The other winner, Jim Atkinson, said HOV violators have always been a pet peeve of his and he was glad to see ADOT install fine warning signs along the lanes.
“Plus, when you’re cruising down the road and other drivers see you, you just look bad,” he said in the release.
ADOT named its 20 finalists last month and let the public vote on its favorites. About 8,000 votes were cast.
“We want to thank everyone who participated in the contest, sending in entries and voting,” Kevin Biesty, ADOT deputy director for policy, said in the release.
“Our hope in putting unconventional safety messages on the overhead signs is that drivers will engage with the message and driver behavior will begin to change, making roads safer for everyone.”
The finalists that were selected from about 6,700 entries touched on everything to drinking and driving and texting behind the wheel to using the HOV lane properly and using a turn signal. You can see them in the slideshow below.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain