Silver Alert canceled, missing, ailing Mesa man found
PHOENIX — An elderly diabetic man who went missing from Mesa has been found safe, ending a Silver Alert.
Authorities said Cristino Vega, 82, who suffers from dementia, was found in Texas by border agents.
Vega drove all night. He had last been seen in Mesa near Power Road and University shortly before 9 p.m. Tuesday. He had driven away in a dark blue Hyundai Sonata bearing New York license plate FMG4655.
Police said he had his wallet and cellphone but not the insulin he needed to treat his diabetes.
Vega has been in Arizona for about two months.
- Feud erupts between utility, US states over Colorado River
- Air quality across Arizona has improved despite population increase
- Here is how Arizona school districts are preparing for teacher walkout
- Eastern Arizona wildfire balloons to more than 11,000 acres in size
- Mesa airport standing by Allegiant Air after scathing safety report