Silver Alert canceled, missing, ailing Mesa man found
PHOENIX — An elderly diabetic man who went missing from Mesa has been found safe, ending a Silver Alert.
Authorities said Cristino Vega, 82, who suffers from dementia, was found in Texas by border agents.
Vega drove all night. He had last been seen in Mesa near Power Road and University shortly before 9 p.m. Tuesday. He had driven away in a dark blue Hyundai Sonata bearing New York license plate FMG4655.
Police said he had his wallet and cellphone but not the insulin he needed to treat his diabetes.
Vega has been in Arizona for about two months.
- Strike a pose: Grand Canyon ranks as Arizona’s most ‘Instagrammed’ spot
- These Arizona cities are among the most deadly in the nation
- Man pleads with Sen. Jeff Flake to vote against tax bill in viral videos
- Valley Metro CEO Scott Smith to remain in position until 2020
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest stories from past weekend in Arizona, nation