The Oscars had an unforgettable moment, but it was for all the wrong reasons.
In the final award of the night for Best Picture, Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway came out as presenters to announce the award.
“La La Land” was proclaimed the winner by Dunaway after Beatty looked puzzled reading the envelope, and after a couple of minutes of acceptance speeches from various people involved in the film, Beatty re-emerged in the background.
As Beatty made his way to the microphone, one of the winners from “La La Land” giving an acceptance speech said he was going to give the Oscar to “Moonlight,” and everyone was immediately confused.
As it turns out, “Moonlight” was actually the winner, with the man holding up the envelope that indeed had the correct winner. Social media exploded, as everyone was perplexed by what was going on.
Beatty explained the mistake as the real winners got on the stage as those involved with “La La Land” stepped off.
Host Jimmy Kimmel took advantage of the moment, joking with Beatty as Beatty tried to explain that he had been handed the wrong envelope.
The members of “Moonlight” gave their acceptance speech with a surprising amount of composure given how bizarre the moment was, as the crowd still sounded like they were in shock and not fully soaking in the speech.
Kimmel ended the night by sarcastically claiming it was his fault, appearing to still be trying to recover from a surreal moment.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments