After previously being nominated for “Birdman” in 2014, Arizona native Emma Stone has won her first Oscar.
Stone won the Academy Award in the best actress category for her performance in “La La Land.” She beat out Isabelle Huppert (“Elle”); Ruth Negga (“Loving”); Natalie Portman (“Jackie”); and Meryl Streep (“Florence Foster Jenkins”) for the award.
The 28-year-old has had an incredibly successful film career already. She won a Golden Globe Award for the same performance earlier in the year and has three total nominations.
Stone was born and raised in Scottsdale and pursued acting throughout her time in the Valley. She attended Xavier College Preparatory, an all-female private high school in Phoenix before dropping out and moving to Los Angeles with her mother at the age of 15.
Stone’s future projects include “Battle of the Sexes,” a film in which Stone plays Billie Jean King, one of the best tennis players of all time.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Arkansas executions raise questions again about sedative
- Phoenix police searching for suspect in fatal hit-and-run
- Jury begins deliberations in Northern Arizona University shooting trial
- Waymo chooses metro Phoenix for new self-driving rider program
- Legislation to extend voter registration deadline heads to Gov. Doug Ducey’s desk