Tamales & coffee concept to open in Phoenix
The owners of Tacos Chiwas, a Mexican restaurant near the SR-51 and McDowell Road, are soon to open a coffee-and-tamales concept called Cafe Chiwas.
As reported by the Phoenix New Times, the new eatery will sit right next door to Tacos Chiwas and will have room for about 20 patrons. According to the owners Armando Hernandez and Nadia Holguin, the idea came from their childhood custom of consuming tamales and pastries for breakfast in Chihuahua, Mexico.
“For some reason, people don’t associate coffee and tamales,” Hernandez said via the New Times piece. “But where we grew up, that was a natural thing. You have your cafe de olla and some tamales in the morning.”
Hernandez said his wife Nadia would make the pastries at night in the Tacos Chiwas kitchen and bring them to Cafe Chiwas for the following morning.
Hernandez also said he hopes the cafe will open by March 4, the first anniversary of the opening of Tacos Chiwas.
- Here are some tips for eating healthy this holiday season
- Here are some Phoenix-area restaurants to eat at on Thanksgiving
- Arizona organization to offer free towing ahead of Thanksgiving
- Taste of Arizona Festival to come to Phoenix-area next month
- Automated bartending comes to Phoenix-area businesses