The owners of Tacos Chiwas, a Mexican restaurant near the SR-51 and McDowell Road, are soon to open a coffee-and-tamales concept called Cafe Chiwas.
As reported by the Phoenix New Times, the new eatery will sit right next door to Tacos Chiwas and will have room for about 20 patrons. According to the owners Armando Hernandez and Nadia Holguin, the idea came from their childhood custom of consuming tamales and pastries for breakfast in Chihuahua, Mexico.
“For some reason, people don’t associate coffee and tamales,” Hernandez said via the New Times piece. “But where we grew up, that was a natural thing. You have your cafe de olla and some tamales in the morning.”
Hernandez said his wife Nadia would make the pastries at night in the Tacos Chiwas kitchen and bring them to Cafe Chiwas for the following morning.
Hernandez also said he hopes the cafe will open by March 4, the first anniversary of the opening of Tacos Chiwas.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- He Said: Ocean Poke Co. is a great option to feel full and healthy
- She Said: The 10 best burger spots in the Phoenix area
- He Said: Arizona Diamondbacks' Tot Dog is a must-order at Chase Field
- She Said: Zookz in Phoenix offers tasty sandwiches in a unique shape
- Here are our picks for the 10 best dishes at Devour Phoenix
- Are you hungry yet? 10-day Arizona Restaurant Week to kick off on Friday
- Thrillist names top Mexican restaurants in Arizona just in time for Cinco de Mayo
- New York City cafe says Starbucks stole its unicorn drink
- With new website, Arizona tourism officials advertise state as ‘foodie destination’
- Check out this Braided Easter Sweet Bread recipe for Sunday’s celebration