A national protest called A Day Without Immigrants is being held across the United States on Thursday.
Immigrants and non-immigrants alike are taking the day off to protest in cities from coast to coast. I guess this is supposed to teach us all what life would be like if they weren’t doing their jobs here in America.
The problem is, no one is going to care. There, I said it: No one is going to care. We will all drive to work, we will all do our jobs, we will drive home and do it all over again the next day as if nothing ever happened.
And do you know who’s fault that is? The protesters!
You see, I applaud these protests. I applaud this sentiment. This is our nation’s First Amendment right. I just wish it was being done right.
There have been seemingly endless protest over the last four weeks, but because of the sheer number, we have all become numb to it.
Let me drive it home for the Democrats out there: Not a lot of Republicans are out protesting.
After former President Barack Obama’s win in 2008, the head of the Democratic National Committee, Howard Dean, announced that his party would begin a perpetual campaign. He meant the party intended to stay in our mugs and campaign every single day.
And they did. We saw Obama speak almost every day of his presidency. Do you remember before Obama, when the president came on TV, everyone stood still and listened? That was a big deal. It was probably something very important.
But after seeing the president almost daily, it just became white noise. It lost its impact.
And Obama was exiting the White House, he claimed that his biggest failure was not being able to communicate his policies properly. I think we know why: Everyone stopped listening.
These protests have become the same thing. There have been so many protests that the message or impact is lost. Now it is just something to plan on messing up our commute.
If I could give some advice, from the other side of the ball, to all of you perpetual protesters, it’s time to sit a few plays out. That way, when you actually protest, someone will actually pay attention because it is rare, it has meaning and it separates itself from the white noise of the other protests.
If that didn’t sink in, maybe I wasn’t speaking your language. Try this: #sitafewplaysout #yourmessageisbeingdrownedout #youredoingitwrong #yourejustannoyingpeoplenow #getyouracttogether
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Arizona DPS reopens I-10 freeway ramps in Phoenix after anti-Donald Trump rally
- What’s next after the Women’s March in Washington?
- Women’s March across nation hits Phoenix day after Trump’s inauguration
- Lawsuit: Immigration checks at Maricopa County jail unlawful
- Turkey issues travel warning about US, cites protests