PHOENIX — A storm system from the West Coast was expected to move into metro Phoenix this weekend and drop up to an inch of rain.
The National Weather Service predicted temperatures, which have been in the low to mid-70s all week, would fall to mid-60s by Saturday and then go lower Sunday.
“The strongest part of the storm is going into Mexico, but there’s still enough energy and moisture that we’ll see widespread rain across the region,” Marvin Percha, a Phoenix weather service spokesman, said.
Light snow would likely fall in the high country.
The Valley will catch part of a Southern California storm that weather experts said dump as much as 6 inches rain in the Los Angeles area. A flash flood watch has gone into effect there.
The weekend forecast pushed back the Arizona Diamondbacks’ Fan Fest, originally scheduled for Saturday at Salt River Fields in Scottsdale, to Monday.
With this storm Phoenix should avoid its second straight rainless February. The Valley has averaged 0.27 inches of rain for the month.
The Valley also went without rain last March.
Phoenix hasn’t had measurable rain since Jan. 24, according to Tiggrweather.net.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- Ex-reality TV star arrested in Phoenix for car theft, drugs
- Tesla to add Supercharging station to Phoenix, other US cities in expansion
- Arizona Legislature advances bill blocking background checks on private gun sales
- Crews battling 7,500-acre Sawmill Fire in southern Arizona
- Club bouncer shot, Phoenix police search for suspect