PHOENIX — A wrong-way driver made it nearly 20 miles along multiple Phoenix-area freeways early Thursday before finally being pulled over by highway troopers.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety said no one was injured during the woman’s 18-mile drive through Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa, but at least two patrol units suffered damage.
Authorities said the woman started out heading south against traffic on State Route 51 in Phoenix. Other drivers began calling in reports before 2:30 a.m.
Next, she jumped to Interstate 10 then U.S. 60 through Tempe before she was finally stopped in west Mesa, after her tires had been deflated by highway patrol.
Digital freeway signs carried messages warning other drivers of the pursuit.
The driver was taken into custody. Her identity was not released.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Police: Tucson mayor carjacked, uninjured
- Sanctuary holds 7 cows saved from slaughter to promote peace
- Arpaio successor pulls back on immigration holds in jails
- Weekend storm arrives; Phoenix area gets rain all day Saturday
- Phoenix-area women go viral after ‘dumping Nordstrom’ over Ivanka Trump brand