PHOENIX — A wrong-way driver made it nearly 20 miles along multiple Phoenix-area freeways early Thursday before finally being pulled over by highway troopers.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety said no one was injured during the woman’s 18-mile drive through Phoenix, Tempe and Mesa, but at least two patrol units suffered damage.
Authorities said the woman started out heading south against traffic on State Route 51 in Phoenix. Other drivers began calling in reports before 2:30 a.m.
Next, she jumped to Interstate 10 then U.S. 60 through Tempe before she was finally stopped in west Mesa, after her tires had been deflated by highway patrol.
Digital freeway signs carried messages warning other drivers of the pursuit.
The driver was taken into custody. Her identity was not released.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Bashas’ announces finalists for doughnut flavor contest
- 1 of 11 suspected border crossers found in Arizona dies
- Arizona legislature to seek dismissal of initiative law challenge
- Legislation seeks to extend operation of northern Arizona power plant
- Two Arizona cities named among best places to live to save money, report finds