Gilbert junior high teacher, coach arrested for inappropriate relationships with students
PHOENIX — Two staff members at the same junior high school in Gilbert were arrested this week for allegedly being involved in inappropriate relationships with students, police said.
Benjamin Bedell, a 37-year-old teacher, and Jael Cerda, a 23-year-old softball coach, were arrested for allegedly having inappropriate relationships with Gilbert Junior High School students.
Bedell was arrested and charged Monday with one count of endangering the life or health of a minor and one count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, both misdemeanors.
Cerda was arrested and charged Tuesday with one count of sexual abuse and one count of sexual conduct with a minor, which are both felony charges.
Police say the alleged incidents do not appear to be connected and there is no evidence at this time that more victims are involved. Police also said the alleged incidents do not appear to have happened on school property or during school hours.
- Drone carrying drugs, cellphones crashes at Arizona prison
- Off Central: Phoenix man works as auctioneer for more than 30 years
- Ducey aims to employ more people with disabilities in state agencies
- Interstate 17 near downtown Phoenix to be restricted over Nov. 17 weekend
- Mac Watson of ‘Mac and Gaydos’ shares story of adopting children