PHOENIX — Two staff members at the same junior high school in Gilbert were arrested this week for allegedly being involved in inappropriate relationships with students, police said.
Benjamin Bedell, a 37-year-old teacher, and Jael Cerda, a 23-year-old softball coach, were arrested for allegedly having inappropriate relationships with Gilbert Junior High School students.
Bedell was arrested and charged Monday with one count of endangering the life or health of a minor and one count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, both misdemeanors.
Cerda was arrested and charged Tuesday with one count of sexual abuse and one count of sexual conduct with a minor, which are both felony charges.
Police say the alleged incidents do not appear to be connected and there is no evidence at this time that more victims are involved. Police also said the alleged incidents do not appear to have happened on school property or during school hours.
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- Ex-reality TV star arrested in Phoenix for car theft, drugs
- Tesla to add Supercharging station to Phoenix, other US cities in expansion
- Maryland police identify driver involved in shooting
- Arizona Legislature advances bill blocking background checks on private gun sales
- Cops: Grand jury to review cop’s fatal shooting of armed man