Gilbert junior high teacher, coach arrested for inappropriate relationships with students
PHOENIX — Two staff members at the same junior high school in Gilbert were arrested this week for allegedly being involved in inappropriate relationships with students, police said.
Benjamin Bedell, a 37-year-old teacher, and Jael Cerda, a 23-year-old softball coach, were arrested for allegedly having inappropriate relationships with Gilbert Junior High School students.
Bedell was arrested and charged Monday with one count of endangering the life or health of a minor and one count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, both misdemeanors.
Cerda was arrested and charged Tuesday with one count of sexual abuse and one count of sexual conduct with a minor, which are both felony charges.
Police say the alleged incidents do not appear to be connected and there is no evidence at this time that more victims are involved. Police also said the alleged incidents do not appear to have happened on school property or during school hours.
Show Podcasts and Interviews
- Trump nominates Phoenix-area lawyer to fill US District Court vacancy
- Arizona’s first sports physical therapy clinic for youths open in Phoenix area
- US Rep. Ruben Gallego ‘very interested’ in running for Senate in 2020
- Remains identified as Mesa man who went missing in 2010
- Group representing Arizona border communities reject Trump’s wall