The tablet on the Statue of Liberty reads, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
I get it!
Having said that, I would like to address the outrage over President Donald Trump’s temporary immigration ban while his administration figures out how to carry through with his campaign promise of extreme vetting for some.
First and foremost, this is not a Muslim ban. The extreme vetting covers 10 percent of the world’s Muslim population — only seven of the 50 Muslim-majority nations are included in the executive order.
Calling it a “Muslim ban” is only meant to fuel the social justice warriors and their protests of Trump.
I will give you that we are a nation of immigrants — just ask any Native American that you see around town. Saying that we immigrated here would be putting it lightly.
But does that mean we should allow anyone, at any time to come through or onto our shores?
Our immigration system SHOULD have rules and laws.
To illustrate how serious I am about this, let’s take a look at my beloved Second Amendment. Yes, we have a constitutionally-protected right to keep and bear arms, but there is a vetting process that has been put in place as — we all agree — not everyone in our land should be able to possess a firearm.
It’s not a perfect system, but it’s one that has been agreed upon to this point.
Once both sides of this argument are done saber-rattling and judge-shopping, we can only hope that the temporary ban will end up in the hands of the Supreme Court. The justices will most likely find that Trump is perfectly within his rights to instill the ban, just like his predecessor, President Barack Obama.
Look, extreme vetting and travel bans will not stop terrorism, just like a wall won’t stop illegal immigration. If you don’t think that there are terrorists here, within our borders, planning attacks, you are being childish.
I will be honest and say that a solution that would make everybody happy escapes me.
My question is, do the protesters have a solution? Have the Democrats proposed a solution? Are the Democrats hypocrites for praising Obama’s ban and railing against Trump’s ban?
I will say that I am a giant fan of changing the vetting process whether it goes from mild to extreme or extreme to mild, something has to change.
We have to begin somewhere. If vetting is the first step, let’s give it a try.
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- Trump adviser promises White House will ‘stay the course’ on travel ban
- Arizona student in US illegally posts tax return online, goes viral
- McCain predicts more ties between Russia and Trump campaign will be uncovered
- First lady Melania Trump hires Arizona woman as communications director
- Arizona joins 12 other states in backing Trump’s travel ban in appeals court