The tablet on the Statue of Liberty reads, “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
I get it!
Having said that, I would like to address the outrage over President Donald Trump’s temporary immigration ban while his administration figures out how to carry through with his campaign promise of extreme vetting for some.
First and foremost, this is not a Muslim ban. The extreme vetting covers 10 percent of the world’s Muslim population — only seven of the 50 Muslim-majority nations are included in the executive order.
Calling it a “Muslim ban” is only meant to fuel the social justice warriors and their protests of Trump.
I will give you that we are a nation of immigrants — just ask any Native American that you see around town. Saying that we immigrated here would be putting it lightly.
But does that mean we should allow anyone, at any time to come through or onto our shores?
Our immigration system SHOULD have rules and laws.
To illustrate how serious I am about this, let’s take a look at my beloved Second Amendment. Yes, we have a constitutionally-protected right to keep and bear arms, but there is a vetting process that has been put in place as — we all agree — not everyone in our land should be able to possess a firearm.
It’s not a perfect system, but it’s one that has been agreed upon to this point.
Once both sides of this argument are done saber-rattling and judge-shopping, we can only hope that the temporary ban will end up in the hands of the Supreme Court. The justices will most likely find that Trump is perfectly within his rights to instill the ban, just like his predecessor, President Barack Obama.
Look, extreme vetting and travel bans will not stop terrorism, just like a wall won’t stop illegal immigration. If you don’t think that there are terrorists here, within our borders, planning attacks, you are being childish.
I will be honest and say that a solution that would make everybody happy escapes me.
My question is, do the protesters have a solution? Have the Democrats proposed a solution? Are the Democrats hypocrites for praising Obama’s ban and railing against Trump’s ban?
I will say that I am a giant fan of changing the vetting process whether it goes from mild to extreme or extreme to mild, something has to change.
We have to begin somewhere. If vetting is the first step, let’s give it a try.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Trump labels people behind Manchester bombing ‘evil losers in life’
- The Latest: Trump asks Mideast to extinguish extremism
- The Latest: Trump gets royal treatment from Saudis.
- ASU law professor discusses legal aspects of Trump-Russia investigation
- The Latest: Comey to testify before Senate intel committee