House fire in Phoenix leads authorities to big stash of marijuana
PHOENIX — A house that caught fire in north Phoenix now is suspected of being part of a marijuana-grow operation.
The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said after the blaze was put out, investigators found a sizable cache of marijuana out in the open of the home near 12th Street and Desert Hills Drive, east of Anthem.
An unidentified man who said he was house-sitting was not injured.
Authorities said a neighbor called in the fire early Monday. Firefighters said the blaze began in the garage then reached the house.
After investigators spotted the marijuana, they got a search warrant and later found what they described as possible lab equipment elsewhere on site.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Affordable housing complex for veterans opens in Tempe
- Crash involving horse-drawn carriage sends two people to hospital
- In wake of Florida shooting, Arizona educators look at social media impact
- Study ranks each Arizona spring training stadium based on fan experience
- Federal plan could add food stamp work requirement in Arizona