WINTERSBURG, Ariz. — The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has started a special inspection at the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station west of Phoenix after an emergency diesel generator failed during testing in December.
An NRC spokesman says the inspection began Monday and will last about a week to determine if any corrective actions are needed at the triple-reactor plant.
Emergency diesel generators are used to supply power to safety-related systems in case there’s a loss of off-site power.
NRC requires that each of Palo Verde’s three reactors have two emergency diesel generators that must be tested monthly to ensure operability.
During a scheduled test last Dec. 15, a piston failed on one of the emergency diesel generators at Unit 3.
The plant declared an alert, the second lowest of four levels of nuclear emergency.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Former Sheriff Joe Arpaio asks US Supreme Court for jury trial in contempt case
- Police arrest man armed with four guns, knives inside Phoenix Comicon
- Arizona high court rules ex-state official Tom Horne didn’t get fair hearing
- Four inmates hospitalized after racially-motivated fight in Arizona prison
- Arizona’s Route 66 specialty plate wins national best-of contest