Trump, Trump, Trump! It seems all we talk about these days is President Donald Trump.
We come by this honestly because, let’s be honest, he just keeps fueling us with new things to talk about.
And what is the Trump outrage de Thursday? He’s mean to world leaders on the phone.
Oh, surely not! You can’t be serious! The leader of the free world isn’t sweet to other world leaders? Outrageous!
Look, I understand. We have had eight years of “leading from behind.” We have had a kinder, gentler White House. The previous administration was more concerned about the United States’ image than they were about our nation’s strength.
Yes, Trump is not a nice man. Here’s a newsflash for you: Most successful leaders aren’t nice men or women. I don’t want to shock your delicate sensitivities, but a mean streak is almost a requirement for successful leadership.
Do you think that the heads of major corporations around the world are worried about what other corporations think about them? Worried about what their competitors think about them?
They’re not even worried about what their vendors and suppliers think about them. They are there for one reason: the success of their business.
The same should apply when leading the nation. You need to be concerned with one thing and one thing only: The success of your nation, not what other people think of your nation.
I can already see the comments below: “But we have to be nice to our allies. They have to like us. If we ever get into trouble or there’s ever a war, they need to walk along with us.” I get that argument — to a very small extent.
The fact of the matter is none of these nations, such as Australia or Mexico, that had their feelings hurt by Trump’s treatment of them over the phone are going to turn their backs on the United States. First and foremost because they are good leaders and they have one thing in mind: Once again, the success of their nation.
Not to mention they really, really like the checks that they get from our country on a regular basis. They will not bite the hand that feeds them.
The bottom line is that we need to stop worrying about how Trump is mean to people. We’ve always known Trump is not a nice guy but we still elected him and made him the president of the United States because somewhere, deep down, we all knew that the White House was due for a little bit of mean.
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- Arizona student in US illegally posts tax return online, goes viral
- McCain predicts more ties between Russia and Trump campaign will be uncovered
- First lady Melania Trump hires Arizona woman as communications director
- Arizona joins 12 other states in backing Trump’s travel ban in appeals court
- Trump, Republicans made smart move in pulling health care bill before House vote