Trump, Trump, Trump! It seems all we talk about these days is President Donald Trump.
We come by this honestly because, let’s be honest, he just keeps fueling us with new things to talk about.
And what is the Trump outrage de Thursday? He’s mean to world leaders on the phone.
Oh, surely not! You can’t be serious! The leader of the free world isn’t sweet to other world leaders? Outrageous!
Look, I understand. We have had eight years of “leading from behind.” We have had a kinder, gentler White House. The previous administration was more concerned about the United States’ image than they were about our nation’s strength.
Yes, Trump is not a nice man. Here’s a newsflash for you: Most successful leaders aren’t nice men or women. I don’t want to shock your delicate sensitivities, but a mean streak is almost a requirement for successful leadership.
Do you think that the heads of major corporations around the world are worried about what other corporations think about them? Worried about what their competitors think about them?
They’re not even worried about what their vendors and suppliers think about them. They are there for one reason: the success of their business.
The same should apply when leading the nation. You need to be concerned with one thing and one thing only: The success of your nation, not what other people think of your nation.
I can already see the comments below: “But we have to be nice to our allies. They have to like us. If we ever get into trouble or there’s ever a war, they need to walk along with us.” I get that argument — to a very small extent.
The fact of the matter is none of these nations, such as Australia or Mexico, that had their feelings hurt by Trump’s treatment of them over the phone are going to turn their backs on the United States. First and foremost because they are good leaders and they have one thing in mind: Once again, the success of their nation.
Not to mention they really, really like the checks that they get from our country on a regular basis. They will not bite the hand that feeds them.
The bottom line is that we need to stop worrying about how Trump is mean to people. We’ve always known Trump is not a nice guy but we still elected him and made him the president of the United States because somewhere, deep down, we all knew that the White House was due for a little bit of mean.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Trump labels people behind Manchester bombing ‘evil losers in life’
- The Latest: Trump asks Mideast to extinguish extremism
- The Latest: Trump gets royal treatment from Saudis.
- ASU law professor discusses legal aspects of Trump-Russia investigation
- The Latest: Comey to testify before Senate intel committee