She Said: Improve your year with these five good mood foods
A new year can bring lots of mixed feelings.
I wanted to kick of 2017 in a positive light, so I decided to do some research to find out if any foods have the power to effect ones mood.
I found five foods that have scientific evidence to improve your mood — and couldn’t we all use that these days? I’ve also added restaurants that serve up tasty dishes which include these mood altering ingredients.
The little shelled wonders are packed with B12 vitamins. The brain needs B12 to make dopamine and serotonin, which are the chemicals responsible for happiness. You can get your fill of B12 at the Salt Cellar with their Steamed Clams or Clam Chowders (New England or Manhattan).
We all know that yogurt is packed with probiotics, which can be great for our digestive system, but studies found that the good bacteria can also calm your brain. Pita Jungle is always serving up their famous yogurt-based Tzatziki at locations across Arizona. It’s good to know this refreshing snack can also act as the ultimate chill pill.
Our favorite morning beverage increases dopamine and serotonin production in the brain within 30 minutes of drinking it. So not only does it give you that jolt of caffeine to wake you up, it fuels a good mood as you start your day. Be Coffee + Food in downtown Phoenix can help you reach that level of happiness with their yummy Spicy Cold Brew.
Oysters are famously known as an aphrodisiac, but they also are packed full of Zinc, which studies have found improve moods. The Angry Crab in Phoenix is sure to make you anything but angry with an order of their fresh raw oysters or delicious baked oysters.
This leafy green is known as a superfood, but it’s spinach’s folic acid and magnesium which triggers a more focused and concentrated brain. The Parlor in Phoenix has an awesome spinach salad filled with baby spinach, applewood-smoked bacon, avocado, hard boiled eggs and a white balsamic vinaigrette that will not only center your focus but leave you with a happy belly too.
- I’ll take two: Burger Battle returning to Scottsdale later this month
- Check out Arizona’s favorite places to eat based on OpenTable reviews
- Guy Fieri rolls through Arizona, adds Mesa Hawaiian restaurant to ‘like’ list
- Valley chefs, restaurateur named as James Beard Award semi-finalists
- Olive Garden unveils Italian nachos and the internet is not OK
- He Said: Devour Phoenix's first year at Desert Botanical Garden a success
- I'll take two: Burger Battle returning to Scottsdale later this month
- He Said: Camp Social the perfect place to get a warm meal on chilly nights
- Salud! Mark National Margarita Day at these Phoenix-area spots
- Here's every Arizona spot in the Girl Scout Cookie Dessert Challenge