MESA, Ariz. — The parents of a Texas man killed last year in a Mesa police shooting have filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against the city and the former officer involved.
Norma and Grady Shaver’s suit filed Tuesday in Maricopa County Superior Court seeks unspecified general and punitive damages.
Daniel Shaver of Granbury, Texas was killed outside his Mesa hotel room Jan. 16 after police responded to a report that someone was pointing a gun out a window.
An unarmed Shaver reportedly begged police not to shoot him moments before Officer Philip Brailsford opened fire.
Brailsford was fired by the police department. He has pleaded not guilty to a charge of second-degree murder in Shaver’s death and is facing trial.
Shaver’s widow filed a $35 million notice of claim against Mesa over the shooting.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Arizona inmate suicide that led to firings now subject of lawsuit
- Legally Speaking: The latest on Trump’s immigration ban and what could happen next
- Phoenix man accused of shooting ex-wife in front of kids was embroiled in divorce case
- Arizona good Samaritan shrugs off ‘hero’ label for saving state trooper
- Wife of Orlando nightclub shooter arrested in connection to mass shooting