PHOENIX — Nearly three years ago, news first broke of a scandal involving excessive wait times and inadequate care at the Phoenix VA hospital.
According to a Wednesday report, more than 1,000 veterans are still waiting more than 30 days to see a doctor.
The Washington Post said the latest round of problems was again unveiled by a whistleblower, which has become a common theme in issues with the VA.
A review by the inspector general for the Department of Veterans Affairs said at least one veteran died last year while awaiting cardiology testing that may have saved his life.
The review found that 1,100 veterans wait longer than a month for care and, in the period reviewed, 215 veterans died waiting to see a specialist. The delays are not believed to have contributed to the deaths.
The review also said veterans waiting to see a psychotherapist wait more than two months on average and some 3,900 appointments were canceled in October 2015, during which 12 people were harmed. It is possible those people would not have been harmed had they been seen in a timely matter.
According to the inspector general’s report, the latest delays were the result of bureaucratic confusion.
“Staff were generally unclear about specific consult management procedures, and services varied in their procedures and consult management responsibilities,” the inspector general’s office wrote.
The person behind the latest round of allegations, chief of specialty care clinics in Phoenix Kuauhtemoc Rodriguez, said the VA has threatened to fire him.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof