PHOENIX — “Through the teeth, over the gums, look out tummy, here it comes” will soon take on a new twist in Arizona, thanks to a fast food chain.
On Wednesday, Taco Bell announced that its Naked Chicken Chalupa — a taco that has a shell that is made of deep-fried chicken — would be released nationwide later this month.
In addition to the shell — that, again, is made of nothing but 4 ounces of fried, all-white, seasoned chicken — the taco will come with lettuce, tomatoes, cheddar cheese and avocado ranch sauce.
“Something this delicious yet different is bound to ruffle some feathers; some might even cluck their tongues at it,” Marisa Thalberg, chief marketing officer at Taco Bell Corp., said.
“However, we feel confident that, once our fans get a taste of the Naked Chicken Chalupa, they are going to understand exactly why this is our next big, fun and craveable innovation, following in the footsteps of the Doritos Locos Tacos five years ago and the Quesalupa just last year.”
The fast-food chain said the taco tested well in markets in Bakersfield, California, and Kansas City, Missouri, over the past two years.
The taco will be priced at $2.99, but prices and availability can depend on the location. It will also be offered in a $5 meal box.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- Police in Arizona share hopes for improved community relations
- The Latest: Lockdown lifted at Air Force base in Arizona
- Officials end lockdown at Arizona Air Force base
- Pie-eating grins! Restaurant company plans to open up to 15 pizza spots in Phoenix area
- Phoenix-area firefighter dies in off-duty altercation