PHOENIX — Three deaths in Maricopa County have been linked to a powerful synthetic opioid that can kill if even touched by someone.
The Phoenix branch of the Drug Enforcement Administration said three men fatally overdosed on “Pink,” or U-47700.
One, a 55-year-old from Phoenix, complained of back pain before he was found dead in his bedroom. Another was a 25-year-old Mesa man with a history of drug use. The third was a 24-year-old Phoenix man with a history of drug use. He had also overdosed once before.
The deaths came between April and August of last year.
“The discovery of the U-47700 in Maricopa County is a great concern for DEA, law enforcement and the community as the threat of opioid abuse continues to evolve,” Doug Coleman, special agent in charge of DEA in Arizona, said.
“The DEA’s HEAT program will target those dealers who directly supplied these lethal substances to the overdose victims.”
The DEA said agents with Phoenix’s HEAT Initiative learned of the deaths after a meeting with the Maricopa County Medical Examiner’s Office.
“Pink” is sold online and is 10 times more powerful than heroin.
It can kill someone if that person handles as little as one ounce.
The drug was developed as a morphine alternative, but was never approved for medical use.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof