PHOENIX — A Phoenix-area woman who owned at least 11 cats was arrested on suspicion of animal abuse and neglect on Tuesday, officials said.
The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said at least one cat was found dead at the home of 72-year-old Joan Irene Reynolds.
Sheriff’s deputies received complaints about the home — located near Glendale Avenue and El Mirage Road in Glendale — on Monday. They said the cats living in Reynolds’ home were malnourished and in poor health. A dog was also found.
She told deputies she had stored one dead cat in a plastic bag outside the home for several months.
The living conditions inside the home posed a danger to Reynolds, the cats and anyone who entered the home.
The animals were seized and taken to a veterinarian for treatment.
Reynolds does not have any family. She was working with social services to find another place to live.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Five months into office, Penzone says problems with politics still persist in MCSO
- Costs to rise in Arizona profiling lawsuit against former Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Caregiver accused of pregnant quadriplegic Glendale woman, unborn child
- Animal welfare agents find 61 cats inside NY home
- Glendale firefighters to educate community on water safety, drowning prevention