PHOENIX — A Phoenix-area woman who owned at least 11 cats was arrested on suspicion of animal abuse and neglect on Tuesday, officials said.
The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said at least one cat was found dead at the home of 72-year-old Joan Irene Reynolds.
Sheriff’s deputies received complaints about the home — located near Glendale Avenue and El Mirage Road in Glendale — on Monday. They said the cats living in Reynolds’ home were malnourished and in poor health. A dog was also found.
She told deputies she had stored one dead cat in a plastic bag outside the home for several months.
The living conditions inside the home posed a danger to Reynolds, the cats and anyone who entered the home.
The animals were seized and taken to a veterinarian for treatment.
Reynolds does not have any family. She was working with social services to find another place to live.
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- Exotic African hybrid cat roaming New Jersey streets caught
- Maricopa County offering free adoptions for most pets this weekend
- Virtual tour to preview Phoenix-area Loop 202 South Mountain Freeway
- Police: Two dead following pedestrian-involved car accident in Glendale
- Organizers still recruiting volunteers for Final Four tournament in Phoenix