PHOENIX — A Phoenix man was shot and killed Monday after he fled from a traffic stop and told officers he was going to shoot them, police said.
The Phoenix Police Department said officers stopped a car that left a suspected drug house near Dunlap and 35th avenues about 3:30 p.m.
The driver of the car was J.R. Williams. There were two passengers in the vehicle. One of them had an felony outstanding warrant and was arrested.
Williams and the other passenger were removed from the vehicle and officers spotted a shotgun lying under the seat.
As officers were placing handcuffs on Williams, he broke free and ran away. An officer caught Williams, who pushed the officer and told him that he was going to shoot him.
Another officer parked nearby saw the chase and ordered Williams to stop as he drew his service weapon. Williams turned at the officer while pointing a clenched fist at him. The officer believed Williams had a gun and opened fire.
A second officer, believing Williams just shot his partner, also opened fire.
The officers called an ambulance but Williams, 38, died at the scene.
No officers were injured.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof