PHOENIX — Arizona officials said lawmakers didn’t appear to have been hacked after some legislators saw message prompts in Russian on their computers.
State computer experts believed a handful of individual computers used by lawmakers may have been infected with malware, but they did not detect a system-wide breach.
The state shut down external access to its human resources system over the weekend after an email asked lawmakers and staff to reset their passwords.
Those who clicked on the link saw a screen with Russian writing pop up.
Chief Information Security Officer Mike Lettman said those who clicked on the link may have compromised their information and infected their computers.
The Department of Administration believed the issue was isolated to about 100 users.
The department said Monday that the email didn’t appear to be a phishing attack.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof