PHOENIX — The questions have been asked and the results are in: The most important issue for Arizonans in 2017 is education, poll results released late last week showed.
The poll from Expect More Arizona, a pro-education group, said 43 percent of likely Arizona voters responded that the issue they care most about is education.
Thirty-four percent of respondents said immigration and border security were their largest concerns, while 16 percent said their biggest issues were jobs and unemployment.
When asked to be more specific about the problems facing Arizona education, 41 percent said a lack of budget was the biggest problem, while 34 percent said teacher pay and shortages had them worried. Another 31 percent said they have questions about the schools’ curriculums.
But the respondents said they are willing to pony up some extra money to help alleviate their concerns. More than 50 percent of respondents across all political parties said they would be willing to pay more taxes to fund schools, especially if that money goes to teacher pay.
About 96 percent of respondents said education should not be affected by income, zip code and background and 95 percent said they feel a strong education system improves the surrounding community.
On Monday, Gov. Doug Ducey announced a new plan to give teachers a pay hike without raising taxes. His remarks came after the survey was conducted.
The poll was conducted from Dec. 15-17 and included the responses of 600 likely Arizona voters. It had a margin of error of 4.4 percent.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof