PHOENIX — Technology giant Apple will use its plant in suburban Phoenix to build servers for use in data centers, according to federal filings.
The Federal Register posted the filings Monday. The documents detail Apple’s plan to build most of its servers at its Mesa plant and then ship them to other data centers.
Under its old plan, the company would build and test servers on each site. The use of the Mesa plant to construct servers would consolidate those efforts.
The filings said Apple already has the “authority to produce certain components for consumer electronics” in the Mesa area, “the current request would add finished products and foreign status materials/components to the scope of authority.”
The filings also showed that Apple has asked the Foreign-Trade Zones Board to exempt it from customs duty payments on the finished servers. Such exemptions are given to create jobs in the United States that may otherwise be sent overseas to save on costs.
If the plan does indeed come to fruition, it would surely help the United States’ economy and excite President-elect Donald Trump, who has recently threatened to impose heavy taxes on domestic companies who move overseas but still sell their products to Americans.
However, it was then converted to a massive data center that serves as a hub for Apple’s cloud operations.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- Officials turn to Phoenix-area residents to help solve I-10/I-17 traffic problem
- Police in Arizona share hopes for improved community relations
- Rain-caused floods force water rescues in Phoenix area over weekend
- The Latest: Lockdown lifted at Air Force base in Arizona
- Officials end lockdown at Arizona Air Force base