PHOENIX — Dozens of first responders worked on a possible chemical spill at a fertilizer plant west of Phoenix early Wednesday morning.
Authorities with the Phoenix Fire Department confirmed the smell of ammonia at Fertizona in Buckeye but hadn’t detected a leak yet. The accident was being treated as hazardous material.
The accident shut down State Route 85 at Baseline Road. The roads did not reopen until after 11 a.m. The closure lasted about six hours.
The plant and nearby businesses were evacuated.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- President Donald Trump to visit Yuma on Tuesday
- ASU bringing Amazon’s ‘Alexa’ into classes, new dorm
- Tempe’s Carvana ranked top-50 in America’s fastest-growing companies
- Arizona Rep. Trent Franks believes Trump will pardon Arpaio, supports it
- Phoenix’s main library will be shut down for nearly a year