Chemical spill west of Phoenix shuts down intersection for hours
PHOENIX — Dozens of first responders worked on a possible chemical spill at a fertilizer plant west of Phoenix early Wednesday morning.
Authorities with the Phoenix Fire Department confirmed the smell of ammonia at Fertizona in Buckeye but hadn’t detected a leak yet. The accident was being treated as hazardous material.
The accident shut down State Route 85 at Baseline Road. The roads did not reopen until after 11 a.m. The closure lasted about six hours.
The plant and nearby businesses were evacuated.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Phoenix-area luxury hotel recognized as one of best in southwest, nation
- Arizona shares a favorite fast food joint with many other states
- Estimated population of squirrel plummets after Arizona wildfire
- Jodi Arias appeal prolonged by transcript errors and omissions
- Camping sold out for Phoenix NASCAR race in November