2017 opened up with some amazing sights to see.
Look to the northern skies tonight and into early Tuesday morning — around 6:30 a.m. — for one of the most amazing meteor showers of the year.
The Quadrantid meteor shower will put on one of the year’s best shows, if you know just where to look. And if you are lucky and have clear skies, meteors may pour out of the sky, just below the handle of the Big Dipper.
This is one meteor shower that peaks over a few hours and not days! You may still see a few Quadrantid meteors on the next night and morning too.
The Quadrantid shower is named after an obsolete constellation called Quadrans Muralis, a device that measures celestial objects. Meteors from this shower are thought to come from an asteroid, not a comet like most meteor showers.
If that does not get you interested in viewing the sky; we have a small comet that will be visible in binoculars, low in the south western sky after sunset. The comet will require binoculars or a small telescope to view.
To follow the Sky with Dr. Sky, get your January star chart here.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night