At year’s end, it’s fun to look back at what we’ve written about on our Rosie on the House website to find out what topics were most popular. This gives us a little insight into what our radio listeners want to learn about.
So the blog that was the most read of all focused on the six toughest plants to grow in Arizona. Over and over, Arizona residents keep planting these tricky plants in their yards even though they seem to be doomed to failure and when they die, they often call our radio program to find out why.
The most finicky plant? It seems to be the avocado tree, which craves a misty sort of climate that you’d find in Santa Barbara or San Diego. Obviously, avocados don’t like the Sonoran desert, but that doesn’t matter to these guacamole-loving gardeners.
The No. 2 most-read blog had the title “20 ideas to improve your curb appeal for $500 or less.” Many of our ideas were even do-it-yourself projects. Here are the first three on the list:
- Have your front door refinished or repainted ($500). Replacing the front door would be nice, but that can cost up to $1,500 or more. So if you still like that front door, just refurbish it.
- Make sure that the doorknob and lock work properly – you don’t want to make it too hard to get in for visiting potential buyers. Replace the lockset ($300-$400 for a higher quality set) if the old one looks worn and chipped.
- Repaint your garage door. You will probably need a gallon of exterior paint ($30-$60) to do the average two-car garage door. It might take less than that, but go with a gallon. Wood usually requires more paint than an aluminum door. Go with eggshell or satin finish.
Third on the most-read list was five must-do fixes for your aging house. These must-dos are things that really date a house and make it look a bit tired, such as old-fashioned fluorescent lights in kitchen and bath, sunken living rooms, and a carport that needs to be replaced with a garage.
Check out all of our most popular blogs of 2016:
1. The toughest stuff to grow in Arizona
2. 20 ideas to improve your curb appeal for $500 or less
3. Five must-do fixes for your aging house
4. What is a mini-split and what are the benefits?
5. Plants out of control
6. HGTV: What’s real and what’s unreal
7. Are open kitchens about to close up again?
8. Six steps to big savings on your electric bill
9. 10 questions to ask before you buy a little cabin in the big woods
10. 8 things you need to know about a remodeling contract
You can find all these topics — including DIY tips and information for all the projects around your house, home, castle or cabin, visit Arizona’s largest collection of homeowner DIY advice and information at www.Rosieonthehouse.com.
And if you are in need of a quality contractor you know you can trust, visit our list of Arizona’s very best contractors or service providers for your home improvement projects at RosieontheHouse.com –- Arizona’s most trusted referral network.
Tune in to KTAR every Saturday morning from 7-11 a.m. for the Rosie on the House broadcast!
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- December's Rosie-do list: It's time to get ready for the Arizona winter
- November's Rosie-do list: Time to get ready for the holidays
- October's Rosie-do List: Keep your home running smoothly this month
- September’s Rosie-do list: Get your veggies, trees and yard ready for fall
- August’s Rosie-do list: Fix the monsoon issues, get ready for fall
- July's Rosie-do list will help you fight bugs brought on by the monsoon
- Ready your home for monsoon season with June's 'Rosie-do' list
- Eight things for homeowners to add to their 'Rosie-do' list for May
- 6 to-do items for your April 'Rosie-do' list
- Your 'Rosie-Do List' for March: Time to start gearing up for summer
- Rosie-Do List for February: Get outdoors to prepare for spring
- Here’s your ‘Rosie-Do List’ for January
- Beat the summer heat: 10 reasons to consider new windows
- Six quick, low-cost home project ideas to tackle over Memorial Day weekend
- Arizona legislator announces Congressional run against Rep. Tom O’Halleran
- Four pros and cons of a mini-split air-conditioning unit
- Seven outside-of-the-box ideas for what to get mom for Mother’s Day