As the Arizona skies chill during winter, you will be treated to a most amazing sight!
Look to the upper left star of Orion. This is the amazing red super giant known as Betelgeuse, a star that is around 650 light years from earth.
If that distance is correct, light from Betelgeuse left around the year 1367 and is just now arriving at Earth!
It is a pretty amazing star.
As stars get older, many of them collapse under the imbalance between outward radiation pressure and the gravity of the star itself. In this case, Betelgeuse may have already gone into this complex state and will one day explode in the form of a supernova!
Astronomers are learning so much about Betelgeuse. The star may have even swallowed a small companion star in the past and may one day become a household name when it explodes and glows like a small sun in our sky.
To spot Betelgeuse, look to the eastern sky around 10 p.m. for the amazing constellation Orion the hunter!
At least seven bright stars make up the constellation, which has been a prominent feature in mankind’s record of the night sky for centuries.
To follow the sky with Dr.Sky, get your December star chart.
Happy new year!
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments