Phoenix freeway shooter hit multiple people, kidnapped another
PHOENIX — A man attempting to steal a vehicle on Interstate 17 between Thomas and Indian School roads shot and hit two people, kidnapped another and shot at another vehicle Monday.
The incident ended when Arizona Department of Public Safety officers engaged in a shootout with the suspect and struck him. He was taken to a local hospital with serious injuries and is expected to survive. No officers were injured.
The kidnapped man, who is 22 and has not been identified by police, was hit by gunfire and taken to the hospital in critical condition He is expected to survive.
The suspect was initially able to get in the car and the two men struggled over the gun and steering wheel before the vehicle crashed into the concrete barriers. The suspect had told him he wanted him to drive him to Mexico.
Another driver, 53, was shot while the suspect attempted to steal his vehicle. His injury was non-life threatening.
The freeway was closed in both directions immediately and throughout most of the night. The Arizona Department of Transportation reopened I-17 in both directions at Thomas Road early Tuesday.
At least one other vehicle was shot by the suspect. Other drivers’ claims of their vehicles being hit by gunfire were under investigation.
- Phoenix named one of the top 10 friendliest small business locations
- Phoenix jury convicts Syrian man accused of making bomb component
- Police situation forces closure of I-17 in Phoenix during rush hour
- Here are some fun things to do in the Valley this St. Patrick’s Day weekend
- Phoenix-area zoo welcomes birth of two mountain lion cubs